Thursday, September 29, 2011

Government Woes

Every Indian has a view on the government even if he / she doesn't even know the leading political party of the state. The general thoughts are ... "Government ?? You need any work done bribe them" "Government Offices ?? Ummmm.. Shabby" "Government Process?? Urghhh Slow". Then there is another group... "My uncle works in the municipality. My paper work is done always smooth". "I know the brother of the minister, don't mess with me". And then there is people like Anna who by however crazy ways, try to bring the so called CHANGE.

Now when I landed in Netherlands, I had this glorious vision that here as long as you submit authentic documents, everything goes smooth. Papers get processed on time, registrations are on time, if it says 2 weeks it is obviously 2 weeks. These ideas where strengthened by the facilities that you get here. If a train says departure at 18:58, it always departs at 18:58 and you'll be van idiot if you think "2 minutes toh any thing is delayed..It must be there till 19:00". In remote small towns, u get electronic boards at bus stops with live timings.

But all that came crashing down, when even after being in Netherlands for 2 months, I didn't receive my residence permit. At end of the first month, I get this letter saying you have been granted resident-ship till July 2012 and you'll be receiving your residence permit card "shortly". If I got this letter in India, I would know shortly <=> 2 months. Here people said it is 2 weeks. Now it is 4 weeks running and I was informed today that the Immigration Department "FORGOT" to process it.

Now since you can't bribe people here or use your influence in any way, you are in a worse mess. You can't even smile and request do get it done fast. Smiles don't work here. Process does and at times that process has memory lapses as in my case! Guess Netherlands is in love with me and doesn't want me to step into other European nations. I love you too my Dutch-land!

In the name of developed and developing! :P

2 comments: